Tuesday 1 March 2011

Busy busy day, but...

Such a busy day ahead, but reading Ian's blog on the role of the Seraphim is just fascinating. Ian is right the deeper you go, the deeper it gets.I think is important here to point out what Pope Pius XI said about the Sacred Heart. He says it can be understand as 'Totius religionis summa.' A total summation of what being a Christian means. And the more we journey into the image of the Sacred Heart the more I grasp what he is expressing. As a total summary it really does require us to completely open our minds and hearts. When you do this, it draws you in: and heart speaks to heart. The image is a simple thing at one level, but the more one reflects and enters into this simplicity, the more does the complexity unfold. As I say that I am reminded of the fact that it is St David's day today. A special day to those of us from Wales. One of St. David's most famous sayings was : remember the little things. And a popular song which will be sung all over Wales today and which will be in the minds of Welsh people all over the world is Calon Lan'. ( My father's favourite!) The words:

Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus,
Aur y byd na'i berlau man,
Gofyn rwyf am galon hapus,
Calon onest, calon lan
Chorus
Calon lan yn llawn daioni,
Tecach yw na'r lili dlos,
Does ond calon lan all ganu
Canu'r dydd a chanu'r nos
Pe dymunwn olud bydol,
Chwim adenydd iddo sydd:
Golud calon lan rinweddol
Yn dwyn bythol elw fydd
Chorus
Hwyr a bore fy nymuniad
Esgyn ar adenydd can
Ar i Dduw, er mwyn fy Ngheidwad,
Roddi imi galon lan
Chorus

And the translation:

I don't ask for a luxurious life,
The world's gold or its fine pearls,
I ask for a happy heart,
An honest heart, a pure heart.
Chorus
A pure heart full of goodness,
It is more beautiful than the lovely lily,
None but a pure heart can sing,
Sing in the day, sing in the night.
If I asked for worldly wealth,
It would swiftly go to seed;
The riches of a virtuous, pure heart
Will bear eternal profit.
Chorus
Evening and morning, my wish
Rising to heaven on the wing of song
To God, for the sake of my Saviour,
Give me a pure heart.
Chorus

How appropriate. I had forgotten that this was my Dad's favourite! Go here to hear it. And let it sound out across the Holy Land.

Evening and morning, my wish
Rising to heaven on the wing of song
To God, for the sake of my Saviour,
Give me a pure heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment